A woman’s body is amazing. You’ve just given birth and you’re in awe of what you were able to do, bring another life into the world. That is cause for celebration!
However, your postpartum body might not exactly bring you so much joy. With this in mind, I have the perfect solution to your what to wear postpartum dilemma. These are the best postpartum leggings to help you ease the adjustment to your new body.
What are Postpartum Leggings and Why Do I Need Them?
Postpartum leggings are the “sort of pants” that you need after having a baby. Postpartum leggings are smooth, stretchy pants that can be forgiving and flattering to your new body.
Some postpartum leggings have high waists and compression features. This helps with smoothing your bulges or reducing the appearance of your post baby belly.
You’ll want the pants you wear post baby to be 3 things primarily: soft, comfortable and supportive.
Provided that, my suggestion is postpartum leggings don’t have to be labeled or sold as postpartum leggings. If you find leggings that meet all the criteria above, guess what?
You’re wearing postpartum leggings! Ta-da!
What are the different types of postpartum leggings?
- Fabric- Leggings can come in many different fabrics: lycra, spandex, polyester, wool, cotton, silk, etc. What you’ll want to keep in mind is comfort during this time.
- Ankle length-This style of leggings come right above your ankles and are ideal for all seasons. They are perfect for wearing with skirts, dresses, tunics, tanks, tees, sweaters, etc. Due to their length, they can be worn alone as pants.
- Mid length or capri length – These fall between the ankles and knees. Also can be worn with skirts, tunic tops, t-shirts, etc.
- Jeggings- Combination of jeans and leggings. Some of these feature fake pockets and seams
- Leather/pleather leggings- Stretchy leggings made of leather or faux leather depends on your preference. Can be dressed up or down.
- Printed leggings- Come in a variety of prints and colors
Benefits of Wearing Postpartum Leggings
Just as there is an emphasis on what to wear while pregnant, what you will want and need to wear after having a baby is just as important.
Postpartum dressing can be challenging because your pre-baby clothes don’t fit and your maternity clothes may be too big.
With all of your hormonal changes, sleep deprivation and new lifestyle, it can be hard to feel good about your body.
Dressing your postpartum body doesn’t have to be hard. Finding the best postpartum leggings is a perfect compromise during this transition time.
Can you wear leggings postpartum? The answer is yes!
Here are a few of the benefits of wearing leggings after you’ve had a baby, if you need more convincing:
- High waisted pants are flattering, they smooth the hips, back and thighs
- Compression leggings provide support for post baby bellies
- Leggings stretch in all the right places and can provide a slimming effect
- Offer a pants option for when you’re between sizes
- Combine comfort and style
So I’m talking a lot about compression features and you might be saying, but do compression leggings help postpartum?
Yes, gentle compression actually helps support your abdominal muscles during the first weeks after birth, when they are weak. Compression will assist your uterus with shrinking back to its pre-pregnancy size.
Things To Look For When Buying Postpartum Leggings
Want to know what makes for the best maternity leggings?
These are qualities of good pair of leggings. Remember what I mentioned earlier, your leggings don’t need to necessarily be labeled as postpartum leggings in order for them to be a good pair for your body and needs.
- Fabric thickness- Since you’ll be essentially wearing these as pants, you’ll want them not to be see through. Thick but breathable fabric is ideal.
- Length-Depends on your personal style but decide if you’ll want full ankle length leggings or shorter? The season you’ll be wearing these can also be a factor for deciding length.
- Compression fabric- It’s a personal choice, but decide if you want the extra support of compression leggings.
- Activities you’ll be doing while wearing leggings- Will you be exercising after baby? Maybe you’ll just simply want the best postpartum leggings for lounging , cuddling and napping with your little one.
- Cost- Depending on your budget you may not want to spend a lot of money on a “transition item” in your wardrobe.
The Best Postpartum Leggings
Now that you know what postpartum leggings are, why you should wear them and what to look for in a good pair, it’s time to shop!
Here are a couple of my picks for best postpartum leggings. All of these options are easily accessible online and budget-conscious. Check them out!
1. The best postpartum leggings for c-section recovery
If you are looking for support and comfort after your c-section, these leggings fit the bill. They are moderate support leggings with high waist tummy compression.
Comfortable leggings can make a big difference in your comfort and mobility.
They are soft, yet stay in place due to the 8% spandex material. This is great because they won’t move around and irritate your incision.
It’s important to pay attention to sizing here. You can order the size you wore pre-pregnancy, but if that’s feeling too tight or like too much compression immediately after leaving the hospital, you can go up one size.
Since this is a compression legging, the material is thick, but it also wicks moisture. Which means if you do get a little warm, this fabric will quickly remove sweat so the fabric on your leggings will feel dry and non sticky.
What moms are saying in the reviews: “I bought these to wear after the birth of our third child/3rd c section. I wish I had seen these earlier so I could have worn home from the hospital. They provide great compression and are so comfortable. They don’t rub at the c section incision site which is a major plus and definitely help you feel more held together postpartum.”
2. Postpartum leggings with a pocket
These leggings have a comfortable stretch and a high waist. Perfect for postpartum workouts or even just everyday use.
Because they have a high waist they are great for tummy control so you don’t “jiggle” as much if you know what I mean.
The fabric is thick enough that they are not see through when you bend over.
Plus, there’s a pocket! Perfect for keeping your cell phone for on the go wear. They come in full length or capri options.
What moms are saying in the reviews: Love these pants as a new mom! It’s flattering to wear postpartum and if I get something on it, it’s nothing a baby wipe can’t wipe off! Love the deep pocket that holds my phone! I can bend and squat and it won’t fall out! Best pants ever!
Are these the best postpartum leggings on Amazon? These have over 27, 515 reviews and still have 4.5 stars! I would say they are definitely a favorite.
These offer the compression and tummy control you need and a comfortable waistband. They made from a snug cotton blend fabric with just the right amount of spandex.
They also come in regular and plus size and variety of packs. So if you want to purchase more than one at a time, you have that option.
What moms are saying in the reviews: I ordered these to wear after giving birth. I wanted something that provided some “jiggle support”. These were comfortable and did a good job holding in what needed to be held in. Even after losing all of my postpartum weight, I still wear these RELIGIOUSLY.
4. The best high waisted postpartum leggings
These are made with Homma™ Firm-Control exclusive fabric (88% Nylon, 12% Spandex). If you’re looking for serious compression and body contouring these are a good choice.
What moms are saying in the reviews: Great for Postpartum! I just had a baby and these squeeze everything in! So much better thank wearing one of those postpartum tummy bands.
Now that you have a few mom approved options, you’re all set with recommendations for the best postpartum leggings. Did I mention all of these options are pretty cheap and affordable? Happy shopping mama!
Know what else changes after having a baby? Your postpartum skincare routine. If you need help with your skin changes after baby, please check out that post.
Are you breastfeeding or pumping? Check out my tips for finding the best nursing tops.