If you’re actively trying to conceive, the two week wait can be a big pain. There is absolutely nothing you can do to speed up the time between ovulation and your expected period. The good news is that there are survival strategies for how you can get through this time without losing your mind.
Here’s what not to do during the two week wait, along with some time passing suggestions to ease your mind.
You Got This! Pin It!
Things to Avoid
So you’re pretty sure you’ve ovulated, you timed doing the deed perfectly and now you’re wondering, Am I pregnant?
No judgement from me, I’ve totally been there with you before. It usually is at this moment, the day after I believe I’ve ovulated that all sorts of what if questions pop into my mind.
Skip the Urge to Test
The very first thing you should not do is not keep pregnancy tests on hand. Yes, I said don’t have a single pregnancy test in your house. That sounds crazy but removing the ability to test easily makes it less likely that you’ll want to pee on a stick.
I know that cheap pregnancy tests are available in bulk from Amazon, or you loaded up on a ton of cheap Dollar Tree tests. If you already have tests, have your partner or someone you trust hide them from you. It works, really!
Disconnect from Groups and Forums
The next thing you should do is take a break from mom forums or baby apps during your two week wait. You can either quit them cold turkey, as in deleting the app altogether or severely limit your time on the app. If you take the latter approach, then limit yourself to 1 hour a day. So from 8pm-9pm, you’re allowed on the apps, but then after that no more!
These apps can be a very supportive place for women trying to conceive, and you can build some real bonds with people just get it. You can also get positive test envy from them too. Trust me, the apps aren’t going anywhere if you take a little break.
Don’t Symptom Spot
Last, but certainly not least, please try not to symptom spot. A lot of early pregnancy symptoms can look and feel like hormonal fluctuations that happen naturally each month. I know it can be promising that you feel fatigue, cravings or nausea but the only way to know for sure is with a pregnancy test. Which, remember , we are avoiding for now.
Two Week Wait Alternative Activities
Okay, so what can you do while you wait to take a pregnancy test?
So glad you asked! Here are my top suggestions for ways to pass the time, distract yourself and avoid testing too early.
1. See a movie. You can take yourself to the movie theater or catch up on some movies you haven’t seen at home on Netflix or Hulu.
2. Take a nap. There will be plenty of reasons you might not sleep as well during pregnancy, please try and get some rest right now.
3. Go on a date with your partner. Try a new activity on this outing. Check Yelp for some cool local places.
4. Exercise, if it’s your thing. Running totally clears my mind and being outdoors relieves stress.
5. Schedule some quality time to see your friends or other family members.
6. Take up a new hobby. If you always wanted to check out those local music classes, yoga, sewing, cake decorating, etc, now is a good time to try at least one class.
7. Cook a new dish for dinner. Pinterest is a gold mine for new recipes.
8. Bake a new desert.
9. Try a new hairstyle. DIY it yourself with YouTube tutorials or take it to a professional and get a new cut and color.
10. Get a soothing spa treatment, like a facial or pedicure.
11. Book a massage.
12. Read a new book or listen to an audiobook.
13. Finally do those errands you’ve been meaning to do.
14. Declutter a small space you always use, like the bathroom or your closet.
15. Go to a concert in your town.
16. Listen to new albums from artists you’ve never heard before. Spotify or Apple Music are great for this.
17. Join a new Meetup group and go to a local event that interests you.
18. Take your dog for a walk if you have one.
19. Take a nice warm bubble bath, you can use bath bombs, light candles, the works!
20. Make a new craft or something to wear, like a scarf.
21. Pick up a side gig to earn extra money.
22. Buy something nice for yourself, does not have to be big and expensive. Whatever you think is nice.
23. Plan for an upcoming holiday or vacation.
24. Update your skincare routine.
25. Get your car cleaned or detailed.
26. Go on a hike.
27. Color in an adult coloring book. This is actually very relaxing, don’t knock it until you’ve tried it.
None Of This Helps! What Else Can I Do?
Sometimes ignoring the elephant in the room just doesn’t cut it. If you need to still need to talk about your worries or concerns, here are some suggestions:
Journal all your thoughts. Write down your questions and fears. It helps sometimes to get these things out of our minds and onto paper.
Talk to a therapist. Therapy is great for your mental health and can be a great support if you’re struggling to conceive.
Navigating the two week wait is tough. If you’re going through this right now, I am sending all of the positive energy and baby dust your way. Hopefully, this is the last month you’ll have to worry about what not to do during the two week wait!
Take a second to pin it!